Friday, May 15, 2015

I’M PLUS SIZE. WHAT ABOUT YOU?

I wear an XXL T-shirt (American size). Add another X to that if the T-shirt is in the Malaysian size. Using the UK chart, I vary between sizes 18 and 20, depending on the cutting of the clothes.
Yes, I’m a plus size woman. I have been one all my life. Even if I drop one X from the local size of XXXL, I am still considered a plus size.
(In the fashion industry, a plus size is identified as sizes 12-24, super size as sizes 4X-6X and extended size as 7X and above. In Britain, the term used is “outsize”.)
Some 20 years ago, a plus size woman would find difficulty buying clothes off the rack. The largest size would be XL. Only certain labels carry XXL or XXXL. Either you send fabric for tailoring or you shop for your plus size clothing overseas.
Now, you can find several labels carrying plus size clothes here such as Marks and Spencer (up to size 24), Ms Read (sizes 12-24) and Total Women (T1 to T4). Price-wise, items from these labels can be a little bit on the high side (although you can get a good price on selected items or during the sale period). The range they carry is fairly fashionable too.
There are several online stores that offer plus size dresses, tops and bottoms at reasonable prices but some of the items are really dowdy in terms of the cutting and the fabric used. Most often than not, the fabric used is the body-hugging lycra, probably because of the elasticity of the fabric. While the plain ones are fairly okay, the printed ones look jaded.
Plus sized women want to look good, too. Most plus-size women I know are into fashion but the industry doesn't seem to be interested to invest in the time, money and marketing campaigns for the market.
They should realise that customers comes in all shapes and sizes and their range of clothing should reflect that.
Last year, I had problems finding ready-made Baju Kurung for Hari Raya. Choices were limited and they weren't as nice as those tailored for the slim and svelte. I would have bought a few in fact if there were some nice ones to choose from. I just bought one.
I think the more offerings you have for women my size, the more they will spend. We have the same amount of disposable income just like every other shopper.
I’m hoping that some known retailers, especially the online ones, would carry plus sizes as well. 
We want to contribute to the local economy too, you know.
My favourite plus size women ... Adele (left) and Adibah Noor



4 comments:

  1. Maklang juga... Tak pernah kenal kurus sejak kecik..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suria Kelang
    Ramai juga yang boleh jadi geng nampaknya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. maklang
    Itu bermakna kita maintain our weight dari kecik sampai sekarang ..

    ReplyDelete