Thursday, February 11, 2016

Have stricter controls at entry points

Two weekends ago, my niece, nephew and I went cafe-hopping in Bangi. There are many cafes at Section 9 of Bandar Baru Bangi, catering to customers of the many retail stores there, mostly belonging to online businesses. These cafes are making good money as the retail store traffic there is unbelievably high, especially during weekends. And, when there is such volume, you will inevitably find those seeking donations for one cause or another. 
We were seated in a cafe and ordering our drinks when we saw a foreign-looking man entering and going from one table to the other seeking donations. He would have approached our table but we were busy placing our orders with the waiter. 
A short while later, another man entered the cafe. He came to our table, gave the salam and showed us a folder containing some papers on a madrasah in Pakistan. 
For the past few years, I have made it a habit to ask for some form of documentation to show that whoever is seeking a donation is authorised to do so. Without one, I would be very reluctant to give anything as I fear the money will be misused. 
I asked the man for his passport, which he willingly gave. As I flipped the pages, my attention was drawn to a white form clipped onto his passport from our Immigration Department. 
It stated that he is given permission to enter Peninsular Malaysia for a month, from Jan 9, 2016, to gather the necessary documents to facilitate his journey home. My nephew captured the photo of the man on his mobile phone. We noticed he was sweating profusely as I went through his passport. “You are not in this country to collect money. What you are doing is against the law. It is illegal,” I told him. 
I don’t know whether he understood me. I returned the passport to him, he gave the salam and exited the cafe without approaching any other diners. Hardly 10 minutes later, a third man walked into the cafe. He was also carrying a folder. Before he managed to say anything, I showed him the photo of the earlier man. “Is this your friend?” I asked him. We saw how he went pale all of a sudden. He gave a weak smile. “How many of you are here?” I asked him. He raised his hand slightly, gesturing the salam, and left without saying anything. 
I was told that these men operate in groups, going from one cafe to another, mostly seeking donations from Malaysians, most of whom have no qualms about giving to charity. I should have asked the other man for his passport to see whether the same white form from the Immigration Department is also clipped in it. 
It baffles me that they are allowed into the country only to gather the necessary documents for them to go home. What else do they need besides their passports? Once they enter the country, they are left to their own devices; thus, they can undertake activities which are against the permits of entry into this country, such as canvassing for money disguised as donations for charities. 
So, what happens when the one-month period is up? They can actually disappear from the system and assimilate themselves among the locals. 
There is a need to have stricter controls at entry points, especially since we have added on more countries whose citizens can travel to Malaysia visa-free. Even then, I was told a visa doesn’t guarantee entry into a country. It actually allows you to travel to the port of entry, airport or land border crossing. 
In my years of travelling abroad, I have seen travellers who were asked to step aside at border controls for further checks. 
In the United States and United Kingdom, for example, travellers are asked a host of questions before their passports are stamped. We experienced it ourselves when we travelled to the UK for the Christmas/New Year holidays a year ago. My nephew was questioned by an Immigration officer at Heathrow Airport when she found out he was underage and not travelling with either of his parents. And, we didn’t have any documentation from his parents allowing him to travel without them.
 He was asked, among other things, where his parents were and who I was. I had to show proof of stay in the UK and our return tickets. I was told by the Immigration officer that they had to ask the questions and for the documentation because they were concerned with child trafficking. 
We weren’t annoyed with the UK border control authorities for questioning us. In fact, we welcomed it as it showed how serious they are in executing their duties. 
Now, I have travelled with my niece and nephew without their parents before here, but we have never been stopped for questioning at land border crossings. Those manning entry points must be extra cautious in carrying out their responsibilities, especially now, more than ever. 
The slightest doubt should trigger an alert. There may be a wolf in sheep’s clothing standing before them.​

No comments:

Post a Comment