Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A YEAR AGO TODAY ... I'M BIONIC ... well, not even close!

I postponed the surgery to the following week. “I have to make some arrangements at work,” I told the surgeon. I lied. I could just go through with it immediately but I wasn’t mentally prepared for the surgery.
His nurse penned down the date for surgery. She booked the room and cleared with the insurance company on the necessary payment. I was to be warded the day before for pre-surgical procedures.
After the appointment, I went to the office and then back to my own house. My staff thought I had done the surgery the way I was carrying myself. I told them the painkiller was my best friend.
Seriously, I have no problem being put under for the surgery. My problem is the pre-surgery procedure, especially having to draw blood for tests.
You see, I had a painful and traumatic experience when I was hospitalized for suspected dengue in 1974.  I was poked three times in each arm by an inexperienced nurse. She couldn’t locate the vein on my arm to draw blood. A doctor had to draw blood at the wrist instead and using a big needle, it was painful.
So, when the lab technician (that’s what she described herself) came by to draw blood, I told her she will not be able to find a vein on my arm. She has to poke my wrist instead. She told me only doctors are allowed to draw the blood from there.
So, she tried to find a vein on my hand instead. “Your veins are very thin,” she said. She went off after three failed attempts to get any blood out of me.
After that, a nurse came to do the same thing. Even before she could do it, the anaesthetist came by. “What are you doing?” he asked the nurse. “Nak ambil darah untuk lab,” she said.
“Let me do it. I may as well put in the IV line also,” the anaesthetist said.
Well, he didn’t put in the IV line. It took him a few minutes to finally get half a vial of blood. But my blood was splattered all over the bed when the nurse, who was applying pressure on my arm, did not release it after the anaesthetist took out the needle. It shot out like water from a hose.
I felt like crying. “Dahlah susah nak dapat darah saya … bila dah dapat, terbuang macam tu saja,” I said. The anaesthetist patched me up and left.


The next morning at 11.30am, I was wheeled into the operating theatre. I remembered how cold it was in there (I had surgery before to remove a torn meniscus tissue removed from my right knee in 1989).
“Let’s put in the IV line,” the same anaesthetist said. “Aren’t you supposed to put me under first before you put in the IV line?” I asked him. “We only do that with children,” he said.
It was really fast. “It’s in. You see how easy it is here under the bright lights,” he said.
A few minutes later, I was asleep. I was asked to start the zikir but didn’t even get to finish the first line.
The surgery took about one and a half hours.
I woke up choking.

  • To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment