Wednesday, June 3, 2015

KICKSTARTING THE READING HABIT

It was a missed opportunity. I should have taken out my phone, put the camera setting on and take her photograph. Oh, I would probably ask her permission first before I snap her photograph or maybe not because I would want a candid shot.
She was a rare specie in this day of modern technology.
She was reading a book while waiting for her order to arrive. Yes, you read it right the first time. She was reading a book when I saw her.
This was at Ben’s KLCC two weekends ago. Everyone around us was looking at the mobile phone screens.
You know some were scrolling because they were using the index finger in an upward or downward motion on the mobile phone screen.
I saw others furiously typing notes, SMSes or messages on Whatsapp, Telegram or whatever message applications they have on their mobile phones.
I didn’t see anyone actually talking on the mobile phone.
I am guilty of doing the same thing – checking my messages, checking Facebook or reading the links send to by my friends – but only if I’m on my own.
A book used to be my companion, now it is iPhone 6. And iPhone6 Plus. Yes, these two accompany me everywhere.
Yes, I read but I don’t read books on my mobile gadgets such as phones and iPads. I surf the blogs, newsportals and other alternative news sites.
I still like reading titles on paperbacks and hardcovers. But I haven’t been doing so lately. In fact, I haven’t been to Borders and Kinokuniya for a while now.
I dropped into Borders at Bangsar Village II last Sunday. That was because a friend arrived late for lunch. I noticed there were many new titles. I picked up a book from there, telling myself that I would start reading it that night and probably finish reading it before the end of the week.
I must tell you that I have failed to do so. It is going to be the weekend soon and I haven’t started turning the pages yet.
I probably need to get away to a place where there are no mobile signals and no WiFi to start the reading habit again.
But where?

No comments:

Post a Comment